How to Find a Japanese Knotweed Specialist Near Me

As a homeowner, there’s a very good chance that you have a Japanese knotweed problem at one or more of your properties. It’s a very invasive plant that can cause damage to your home and garden, if left untreated. It can also be a barrier to getting a mortgage, as most mortgage lenders will not lend on properties that have live Japanese knotweed growing on it.

However, there are several ways to deal with it and a japanese knotweed specialist near me can help you eradicate the plant. The first thing to do is look for a PCA (Property Care Association) registered contractor who has extensive experience and knowledge of tackling the problem. Make sure they have public liability insurance, ideally with cover of PS5m+. Also, they should have professional indemnity insurance in place, preferably with cover of PS1m+. Finally, they should be able to offer an insurance backed guarantee (IBG) lasting up to 10 years. This is the only way to satisfy the lending policies of most mortgage providers.

Invasive weed specialists use a variety of different methods to treat and eradicate the plant. These include herbicide treatments, smothering and excavation. Herbicide treatments are often the quickest option, but they can be highly toxic to wildlife, especially to bees. In addition, the chemical glyphosate used in this treatment has been linked to cancer.

Smothering is another option, and this involves covering the weed with plastic tarps to restrict its growth by preventing it from receiving sunlight. This is a time-consuming process and it can take a minimum of 5 years to completely eradicate the plant. However, smothering is a cost-effective way to deal with Japanese knotweed and it can be combined with other removal methods for maximum efficiency.

Knotweed can grow in a range of different environments and it is very difficult to keep it contained. Often, it will break through concrete and house foundations. It can also spread over a large area of land, causing damage to gardens and neighbouring properties. This is why it’s essential that you deal with the problem before it gets out of control.

It isn’t illegal to have the plant in your garden, but it is important that you don’t encourage it to spread onto neighbouring sites. It’s possible for the rhizomes to penetrate underground pipes and sewers, and it’s very likely that your mortgage lender will not lend on a property with live Japanese knotweed on site.

You should always contact a Japanese knotweed specialist as soon as you notice the presence of this plant on your property. They can advise you on the best course of action to take and can provide a free survey and quotation. Once a treatment plan has been put in place, you can then expect the Japanese knotweed to be eradicated within 10 years. If you don’t disclose the presence of the plant to your mortgage provider, it may be a breach of contract and you could be liable for any damage caused.